Scalp micropigmentation (SMP), also known as a hair tattoo, is a non-surgical treatment for hair loss that involves applying tiny dots of a special pigment to the scalp to look like a hair follicle. They make the hair appear thicker, or if you are completely bald, they can give the look of full, shaved hair.
SMP can help both men and women overcome their hair loss problems in a number of ways.
• Creates a natural-looking density between existing hairs.
• Camouflages scars, especially those leftover from hair transplants.
• Narrows a wide section of the hair. One of the main advantages of a hair tattoo is that it is non-invasive, which means it doesn’t leave any scars or downtime. Comes in and out the same day with instant results!
Preparation and Aftercare
In your initial consultation, our experienced technicians will help you prepare for the procedure and will inform you in advance of what you need to prepare.
take precautions after final treatment such as:
• No swimming
• Avoid saunas and steam rooms for 28 days after the final treatment
• Avoid vigorous physical activity for five days after the final treatment
You should also start moisturizing your scalp after the fourth day of your last treatment (something to do between treatments).
Does scalp micropigmentation grow hair?
The micropigmentation of the scalp does not support hair growth. It’s a hair tattoo that mimics the look of a shaved head. By penetrating a needle into the skin to inject the natural pigment into the scalp, it helps keep the head looking natural.
How long does it take to see results?
- Although the effects of the hair pigmentation can be felt immediately, approx. 23 sessions/treatments with a doctor are required after the initial consultation for optimal results. Each session is held in a sterile and comfortable setting to ensure that the patient experience is positive and customers are confident that their results are of high quality.
• Damon, Optima SMP Technician, says, “Having experienced my own hair loss and this procedure firsthand, I can personally attest to the benefits of this treatment. I have to worry about covering up bald spots or embarrassing what others might think of me. I liked the treatment so much that I decided to become a naturopath myself and have been doing this procedure for almost 10 years.
How long does scalp micropigmentation last?
With adequate aftercare, scalp micropigmentation can persist for years. However, as with any form of tattoo, touch-ups may be needed to ensure that the results are preserved. Minimize direct sunlight on the scalp to increase the longevity of the results.
Does micro pigmentation damage hair follicles?
The micropigmentation does not damage the hair follicles, our specialists carefully place their insertion points between the follicles to increase the density.
Does Scalp Micropigmentation hurt?
Before the procedure is performed, your SMP doctor will apply an anesthetic to the scalp to relieve the pain. However, you may still have discomfort during the procedure. The extent of the discomfort you feel depends on your pain tolerance.
How to get started
• When it comes to hair loss, there are several options available to those looking for a solution. From hair transplants to advanced hair systems for men and women, the technology and care behind treating baldness are advancing and improving all the time.